Home           Contact us           FAQs           
 
   Journal Page   |   Aims & Scope   |   Author Guideline   |   Editorial Board   |   Search
    Abstract
2013 (Vol. 2, Issue: 4)
Article Information:

Morphometric Relationships and Feeding Habits of Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L.) (Pisces: Cichlidae) From Lake Koka, Ethiopia

Flipos Engdaw, Elias Dadebo and Raja Nagappan
Corresponding Author:  Flipos Engdaw 

Key words:  Lake koka, morphometric, ontogenetic dietary shift, Oreochromis niloticus, phytoplankton, stomach contents, volumetric analysis, zooplankton
Vol. 2 , (4): 65-71
Submitted Accepted Published
June 28, 2013 July 12, 2013 November 20, 2013
Abstract:

The study aimed to check morphometric relationships and feeding habits of the Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L.). A total 573 fish samples from 4.7 cm to 35.2 cm Total Length (TL) and from 1.67 g to 780.0 g Total Weights (TW) were collected from Lake Koka during dry (May) and wet (August) months of 2011. The relationship between TL and Standard Length (SL) was linear (SL = 0.8482TL-0.8674) and the relationship between TL and TW was curvilinear (TW = 0.0153TL3.0541). From the total number of fishes 488 (85.2%) stomach was observed with food and remaining 85(14.8%) was empty. The major food items found in the stomach content was phytoplankton, macrophytes and detritus. Phytoplankton occurred in 80.1% of the stomach contents examined and contributed 47.45% of the total volume of food items. Macrophytes and detritus was found in 61.1 and 75.2% of the stomach contents and contributed 26.2 and 15.5% of the total volume of the diet, respectively. Zooplankton and insects was recorded in 54.1 and 19.9% of the stomach and volumetrically accounted for 7.06 and 2.43% of the bulk, respectively. During the dry month phytoplankton was observed in 96.4% of the stomach and constituting 66.1% of the total volume of the diet. During wet month macrophytes was the most important food items found in 98.1% of the stomach contents and constituting 79.1% of the total volume of the food items. Ontogenetic dietary shift was observed during the present study. Small sized fish (<10 cm) fed mainly on insects and zooplankton. When the fish size increased phytoplankton, macrophytes was increased in their food contents and zooplankton, insects and ostracods declined.
Abstract PDF HTML
  Cite this Reference:
Flipos Engdaw, Elias Dadebo and Raja Nagappan, 2013. Morphometric Relationships and Feeding Habits of Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L.) (Pisces: Cichlidae) From Lake Koka, Ethiopia.  International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 2(4): 65-71.
    Advertise with us
 
ISSN (Online):  2049-842X
ISSN (Print):   2049-8411
Submit Manuscript
   Current Information
   Sales & Services
   Contact Information
  Executive Managing Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Publishing Editor
  Email: support@maxwellsci.com
  Account Manager
  Email: faisalm@maxwellsci.com
  Journal Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Press Department
  Email: press@maxwellsci.com
Home  |  Contact us  |  About us  |  Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2009. MAXWELL Science Publication, a division of MAXWELLl Scientific Organization. All rights reserved