Home           Contact us           FAQs           
 
   Journal Page   |   Aims & Scope   |   Author Guideline   |   Editorial Board   |   Search
    Abstract
2011 (Vol. 3, Issue: 5)
Article Information:

Effect of Different Oil Sources on Muscle Fatty Acid Composition and Serum Lipoproteins Levels in Sarabi Beef Steer

Mohamad Golshan-Zoroofi, Habib Aghdam Shahryar, Vaheid Chekaniazar and Saeid Chekaniazar
Corresponding Author:  Saeid Chekaniazar 

Key words:  Beef steer and performance, fatty acid, vegetable oil, , , ,
Vol. 3 , (5): 379-385
Submitted Accepted Published
2011 August, 12 2011 September, 08 2011 October, 15
Abstract:

This study examined the effects of different vegetable oil sources on the Fatty Acid (FA) composition of muscle and performance of beef steer (Sarabi strain). Twenty one steers (38417 kg BW) were assigned in seven treatment that fed diets containing 0% oil (control), 2 and 4% of Canola Oil (CO), Sunflower Oil (SO) and Restaurant Waste Oils (RWO). Ribeye steaks from steers fed CO, SO and RWO for 90 days of experiment were used after slaughtering to evaluate the effects of oil source on fatty acid composition. Amounts of muscle saturated FAs decreased and polyunsaturated FAs increased in both 2% CO and 2% SO groups. The highest contents of total n-3, n-6 and n-7 FAs were significantly (p<0.05) obtained with 2% CO, 2% SO and control groups, respectively. Animals fed 2% CO had the lowest content of total n-9 FAs in compared to other groups. Control and 2% SO dietary groups presented lowest total cholesterol and 4% CO group resulted in a lowest triglycerides (p<0.01). The high and low-density lipoprotein (HDL and LDL) was highest in 2 and 4% RWO group, respectively and animals fed 4% SO and 4% CO had the lowest LDL and very low-DL (VLDL), respectively. Control animals and those fed 2% oils tended to have higher dry matter intake (DMI, <0.05). The best Daily Weight Gain (DWG) was related to 2% RWO dietary group and followed by 2% SO dietary groups; however, differences were not significant.
Abstract PDF HTML
  Cite this Reference:
Mohamad Golshan-Zoroofi, Habib Aghdam Shahryar, Vaheid Chekaniazar and Saeid Chekaniazar, 2011. Effect of Different Oil Sources on Muscle Fatty Acid Composition and Serum Lipoproteins Levels in Sarabi Beef Steer.  International Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 3(5): 379-385.
    Advertise with us
 
ISSN (Online):  2041-2908
ISSN (Print):   2041-2894
Submit Manuscript
   Current Information
   Sales & Services
   Contact Information
  Executive Managing Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Publishing Editor
  Email: support@maxwellsci.com
  Account Manager
  Email: faisalm@maxwellsci.com
  Journal Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Press Department
  Email: press@maxwellsci.com
Home  |  Contact us  |  About us  |  Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2009. MAXWELL Science Publication, a division of MAXWELLl Scientific Organization. All rights reserved