Home           Contact us           FAQs           
 
   Journal Page   |   Aims & Scope   |   Author Guideline   |   Editorial Board   |   Search
    Abstract
2012 (Vol. 4, Issue: 1)
Article Information:

Production of Single Oospore Progeny (SOP) of Phytophtora infestans: Inheritance of Mating Type and Mycelial Morphotypes

Diana M. Earnshaw
Corresponding Author:  Diana M. Earnshaw 

Key words:  Lumpiness, mating type, Phytophthora infestans, sexual progeny, single oospore progeny, sporangiospore,
Vol. 4 , (1): 43-52
Submitted Accepted Published
2011 September, 29 2011 November, 04 2012 January, 25
Abstract:

The aim of this study was to produce sexual progeny (oospores), of the causal agent of late blight, Phytophthora infestans, study the inheritance of mating type and morphological appearances of these progeny. This pseudofungus exists in two distinct mating types: A1 and A2 mainly in Mexico. However, reports indicate presence of both mating types in many countries all over the world which indicates possibilities of sexual reproduction. The experiment was conducted at the University of Wales, Bangor, in the School of Biological Sciences. Three A1 parental isolates 96.89.43and 96.69 (both UK) and P9463 (California, USA) were mated with a common A2 isolate 96.70 (UK). About 545 Single Oospore Progeny (SOP) were obtained. The A1:A2 ratio was 3:1 for cross #1; 1:1 for cross #2; and 3:1 for cross #3. All A1 SOPs and 7% of the A2 SOPs had nonlumpy (-) morphology, the rest (93%) of the A2 SOPs exhibited lumpiness of varying degrees. Lumpiness varied from slighty lumpy (+) (17%), lumpy (++) (56%), to being very lumpy (+++)(20%). No visible sporangiophores observed among the very lumpy progeny. The A2 SOP were lumpy as opposed to non-lumpy A2 parent, which was a fluffy isolate just like the A1 parents. Scanning electron microscope revealed that the lumpiness was an aggregate of short-branching hyphae. Lumpiness of A2 isolates has not been reported in nature but observed in laboratories. This could be due to the failure by such isolates to survive as in this study such isolates were observed to produce very few sporangia.
Abstract PDF HTML
  Cite this Reference:
Diana M. Earnshaw, 2012. Production of Single Oospore Progeny (SOP) of Phytophtora infestans: Inheritance of Mating Type and Mycelial Morphotypes.  Asian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 4(1): 43-52.
    Advertise with us
 
ISSN (Online):  2041-3890
ISSN (Print):   2041-3882
Submit Manuscript
   Current Information
   Sales & Services
   Contact Information
  Executive Managing Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Publishing Editor
  Email: support@maxwellsci.com
  Account Manager
  Email: faisalm@maxwellsci.com
  Journal Editor
  Email: admin@maxwellsci.com
  Press Department
  Email: press@maxwellsci.com
Home  |  Contact us  |  About us  |  Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2009. MAXWELL Science Publication, a division of MAXWELLl Scientific Organization. All rights reserved